Potato Kugel tastes like a giant hash brown (and it's incredible).
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and shredded
- 5 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ c. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Working in batches, place handfuls of shredded onions and potatoes in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out excess liquid into a bowl, reserving the liquid. Transfer onion and potatoes to another bowl.
- Let excess liquid sit to allow starch solids to settle to the bottom of the bowl, about 5 minutes. Pour liquid off slowly, leaving the solid potato starch in the bottom of the bowl. Discard liquid.
- In another large bowl, beat eggs well then beat in oil, reserved potato starch, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture over potato and onion mixture and toss to combine.
- Brush a 9”-x-13” baking dish with oil and place in the oven to preheat, 5 minutes. Carefully, remove baking dish from oven and fill evenly with potato mixture.
- Bake until golden and potatoes are tender, about 1 hour. Turn oven to broil and broil kugel until top is golden, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chives before serving.