French Onion Bread Bowl
Get cozy in no time with our French Onion Bread Bowl.
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ c. red wine
- 4 c. low-sodium beef broth
- 2 boules
- 2 c. shredded Gruyere
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat butter and oil. When butter is melted, add onions, thyme, and by leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until onions are soft and starting to caramelize, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
- Remove aromatics and pour in red wine. Bring to a simmer and cook until almost completely reduced. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1minute. Add flour and stirr to coat onions, then pour in broth. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Preheat oven to broil. Cut the top off of boules and scoop out inside of bread. Save inside for another use. Cut tops into 1” cubes.
- Place boules on a large baking sheet and sprinkle a little cheese inside bottom of each bow. Ladle soup into bowls and top with cubed bread. Top with remaining cheese and broil until cheese is melty and top pieces of bread start to crisp, 2 to 5 minutes, watching closely.
- Garnish with parsley to serve.