Hasselback Bacon Butternut Squash
You have to make this Butternut squash STUFFED with bacon and cheese!
- 1 Butternut squash, large
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ c. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 7 slices of bacon, halved crosswise
- 10 Fresh sage leaves
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ c. mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425º. Peel squash and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon and discard (or save for roasting). Brush all over with oil and place cut side down on a baking sheet. Roast until just barely tender, about 20 minutes, let cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, maple syrup, and lemon juice.
- Make thin cuts in partially roasted squash, going as deep as possible without cutting all the way through. Arrange sage leaves and bacon randomly in the cuts. Roast 15 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven. Drizzle with butter mixture and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 30 minutes more. Remove from oven, top with cheese. Return to oven until cheese is melted and golden, about 5 minutes more.