Gravy Without Drippings
Here's how to make perfect gravy *without* drippings.
- 4 tbsp. butter
- ½ large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 to 3 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes, then stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Stir in flour and herbs and cook for 1 minute, then gradually whisk in 2 cups broth.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat slightly and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. If the gravy is too thick, add more broth.
- Season gravy with salt and pepper to taste before serving.