Cheesy Shrimp & Grits
Bacon Shrimp and Cheddar Grits? YES PLEASE.
- 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 c. water
- Kosher salt
- 1 c. corn grits
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 c. shredded cheddar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth and water to a boil and season generously with salt. Reduce heat so mixture is at a simmer then whisk in grits. Simmer, stirring often, until grits have absorbed liquid and are very tender, 10 minutes. Stir in butter and cheese, then season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy, about 8 minutes. Leave about 2 tablespoons bacon fat in skillet and drain bacon on a paper towel-lined plate before chopping into small pieces.
- Season shrimp with oregano and paprika then add shrimp, green onions, and garlic to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp is pink and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
- Serve shrimp over grits and top with chopped bacon.