Salty, cheesy, and satisfyingly messy... You need to make this Carbonara Pizza!
- FOR CHILI OIL (OPTIONAL)
- 1½ tbsp. crushed red chili flakes
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- ½ c. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. Kosher salt
- FOR PIZZA
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into ½" pieces
- 1 (9-oz) ball store-bought pizza dough
- all-purpose flour, for peel, pan, or cutting board
- 1 c. freshly shredded mozzarella
- ¼ c. freshly grated parmesan
- 1 large egg
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For chili oil (optional): Combine chili flakes and garlic in a medium heatproof bowl. In a small pot over medium heat, heat oil until hot but not yet smoking, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour over chili flake mixture, stir, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 500° and place a baking sheet in the middle rack.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until mostly crisp but still slightly bendable. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Stretch or roll pizza dough into an 10” to 11” round, and place on a well-floured pizza peel, cutting board, or upside-down baking sheet. (You will be using this to transfer your pizza to your preheated baking sheet. Make sure your crust is moving freely and not sticking anywhere.)
- Top your dough with an even layer of mozzarella and parmesan, avoiding the very center (to allow room for an egg) and a 1” border around the outside for crust. Scatter cooked bacon all over pizza.
- Remove hot baking sheet from oven and carefully transfer prepared pizza onto it.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, until golden and melty, then carefully crack egg into the center of the pizza. (You can also crack the egg into a small bowl and pour it onto the pizza.) Return pizza to oven and bake until egg white is set but yolk is still runny, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season egg with salt and pepper, and drizzle chili oil on finished pie. Break into yolk and drizzle all over pizza.