French Onion Fettuccine Alfredo
CARBS ON CARBS!
- 1 lb. fettuccine
- 6 tbsp. butter, divided
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ c. white wine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 2 c. milk
- ½ c. freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2½ c. shredded Gruyère, divided
- 1 baguette, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until deep golden and caramelized, about 30 minutes. Add white wine and continue to cook until evaporated, 5 minutes more.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add flour and cook until golden, 1 minute more. Slowly whisk in cream and milk. Bring mixture to a simmer, then add Parmesan and thyme and simmer until thickened, 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Add pasta to sauce and toss to combine. Top with caramelized onions and 1 cup Gruyère. Bake until cheese is melty, 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to broil. Top pasta dish with baguette slices and top with remaining 1 ½ cup Gruyère. Broil until golden, 5 minutes.
All rights and material belong to owners delish.com