General Tso's Chicken
Homemade General Tso's chicken > takeout. Trust us.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces
- ¼ c. plus 1 tbsp. cornstarch, divided
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp. honey
- ¼ c. low-sodium soy sauce
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets (about 4 c.)
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- 2 c. Cooked rice, for serving
- In a large resealable plastic bag, add chicken and ¼ cup cornstarch. Season with salt and pepper and shake to coat.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons oil. Shake off excess cornstarch and add chicken to oil. Cook, in batches, until golden, about 7 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add garlic and red pepper flakes cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add chicken broth, making sure to scrape up any brown bits with a wooden spoon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk hoisin sauce, honey, soy sauce, and lime juice with remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until combined. Add to skillet and simmer until slightly thickened, 1 minute.
- To sauce, add broccoli and cook until tender, 5 minutes. Return chicken to skillet and stir to coat. Simmer for 1 more minute.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve over rice.