Double Chocolate Mousse Trifle
You can’t beat this stunningly decadent take on a traditional trifle! A homemade chocolate case is filled with white chocolate, fruit, jelly and nuts – what’s not to love?
- 600g dark chocolate melts
- 500ml milk
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 free-range eggs
- 2 free-range egg yolks
- 50g cornflour
- 150g white chocolate, melted
- 600ml thickened cream
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 (230g) plain unfilled sponge cake, halved horizontally
- 2 cups sliced summer fruits (mango, nectarine, peach)
- 250g punnet strawberries, halved
- 125g punnet blueberries
- 2 packets raspberry jelly, made following packet instructions
- 150g hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of just simmering water. Line a lightly oiled half-cylinder mould with freezer plastic, extending over the edges, then brush with half of the melted chocolate, lining up the sides. Allow to set, then brush with another quarter, covering the whole mould until chocolate is at least 3mm thick. Use a little more if needed and allow to set, setting aside remaining chocolate.
- Put milk, caster sugar and vanilla in a medium saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Meanwhile, whisk eggs, yolks and cornflour in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in hot milk, until smooth. Return to saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring, until thickened. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes. Beat in white chocolate and 100ml of the cream. Cool. Whip remaining cream and icing sugar in a bowl until soft peaks form.
- Toast sponge cake until lightly crisp over a barbecue grill or on a chargrill pan on medium heat. Tear into pieces, then cool slightly.
- Spread remaining melted chocolate down the centre of a long serving board, the length of the chocolate log. Carefully remove the log from the mould, lifting plastic at both ends. Remove plastic and put log on top of melted chocolate on board to keep it in place. Allow to set.
- Spoon layers of white chocolate custard, whipped cream, fruit, jelly and sponge into chocolate log. Sprinkle with nuts and serve.
All rights and material belong to owners bhg.com.au