Coconut Cream Pie
We're crazy for coconut desserts, but this Coconut Cream Pie is something we dream about.
- 1 pie crust
- 8 large egg yolks
- ¾ c. granulated sugar
- ½ c. cornstarch
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- 2 c. whole milk
- 1 (13.5-oz.) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. butter, softened
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 c. cold heavy cream
- ¼ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ c. powdered sugar
- ½ c. toasted sweetened coconut flakes
- Bake crust: Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 12” circle. Drape over 9” pie dish and gently press to fit (don’t stretch). Prick bottom with a fork, trim edge to 1”, tuck overhang under itself, and crimp. Refrigerate 30 minutes or freeze 10 minutes. Line crust with parchment and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake 30 minutes, then remove parchment and weights. Return to oven and bake until crust is golden and completely baked through, 20 minutes more. Set on rack to let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar, cornstarch, and a pinch of salt. Mixture will be very thick.
- Then, to a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, add milk, coconut milk, and vanilla and bring just to a simmer. Once simmering, slowly add a ladleful of the warm milk to the egg mixture, whisking constantly, until combined. Slowly pour egg mixture into the saucepan, whisking to incorporate. Let cook until very thick, 2-3 minutes more, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat, strain through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl, and stir in butter. Let sit, or refrigerate with a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the custard, and cool completely.
- Make whipped cream: In a medium bowl, add heavy cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Using a handheld mixer or whisk, whip until stiff peaks just begin to form.
- Assemble pie: Fill pie crust with cooled coconut custard, smooth out, and transfer to the refrigerator until completely set, about 2 hours more. Then, top with a heaping pile of whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
All rights and material belong to owners delish.com