30 Minute Saucy Ginger Sesame Noodles with Caramelized Mushrooms
Best for nights when you’re craving Chinese, but want something a little healthier.
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter or tahini
- 1 tablespoon molasses or pomegranate molasses (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 8 ounces Chinese style egg noodles or rice noodles
- 2½ cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame or extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups shiitake or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons raw sesame seeds
- 2 green onions chopped, for serving
- To make the sauce. Combine ½ cup soy sauce, honey, balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, peanut butter/tahini, molasses, 1 tablespoon ginger, 1 clove garlic, and ⅓ cup water in a bowl.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain. To the pot used to cook the noodles, add the broth and ½ of the soy sauce mixture. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stir in the spinach. Keep warm.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the mushrooms. Cook undisturbed for 5 minutes or until golden. Add the shallots, 1 tablespoon ginger, and 2 cloves garlic. Cook 4-5 minutes, until fragrant. Add 2 tablespoons soy sauce and a large pinch of pepper. Cook another 2-3 minutes, until the mushrooms are caramelized. Add the sesame seeds, cook 2 minutes. Spoon the mushrooms out of the skillet and onto a plate.
- To the skillet, add the remaining soy sauce mixture and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the noodles, toss to combine, and cook until the sauce just coats the noodles, 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Ladle the broth into bowls. Add the noodles and toss combine. Spoon the mushrooms over the noodles. Top with green onions and chili oil. Enjoy!
All rights and material belong to owners halfbakedharvest.com