Butternut Squash Mac 'N Cheese
We didn't think we could love this comfort food even more.
- 4 c. (20 ounces) frozen butternut squash cubes
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- 2 c. whole milk
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- 1 lb. large shells or other short pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat.
- In a large skillet over medium-high, combine squash and ¼ cup water. Cover and cook (uncovering to stir occasionally), until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until liquid evaporates, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add butter, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ tsp pepper and stir until butter is melted. Add flour and stir to incorporate. Cook, stirring constantly, until squash mixture thickens and raw flour has had a chance to cook, 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Add garlic powder, cayenne, and thyme and bring to a simmer. Add cheddar and goat cheese, stirring until melted. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook 3 minutes short of package instructions. Drain, reserving ½ cup pasta water, and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, transfer squash mixture to a blender and puree until smooth (you should have just over 4 cups).
- Place the pot with cooked pasta over medium-low heat and stir in sauce until coated. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. (If sauce looks thin, don't worry—it with thicken as it begins to cool.) Add splashes of pasta water to loosen until you've reached your desired consistency.
All rights and material belong to owners delish.com