Pear Apple Cheddar Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese Bagel Sandwich
Grilled cheese bagel sandwich with sliced apple, pear, cheddar, caramelized onions, egg and more! - A melt-in-your-mouth experience.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 heaping handfuls arugula
- 2 eggs, sunnyside up
- 2 everything bagels, toasted, I used gluten-free
- 4 slices Cheddar cheese, or cheese of choice
- ½ ripe apple, sliced (I used an Envy apple)
- ½ ripe bosc pear, cored and sliced
- 4 tablespoons fig preserves
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the sliced onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to sweat and turn translucent, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle liberally with sea salt, reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden-brown and caramelized, about 45 minutes more.
- Preheat the oven to the high broil setting.
- Slice the bagels in half and place them on a baking sheet. Toast on the top shelf of the oven under the broiler until golden-brown, about 1 minute. Remove bagels from the oven and add a slice of cheddar on all four slices of bagel. Place back in the hot oven until melted, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Smear 1 tablespoon of fig preserves over each cheesy bagel slice.
- Top the bagel bottoms with wilted arugula, sliced apple, pear, caramelized onions, and a sunny side up egg. Place the bagel tops on top, slice in half and serve.
All rights and material belong to owners theroastedroot.net