Blackened Salmon in Creamy Cajun Sauce
This Blackened Salmon is quick and easy and delivers restaurant flavor with minimal effort!!
- 4 (6-8 oz. each) skinless salmon fillets
- olive oil
- melted butter optional
- BLACKENED SEASONING
- 2 tsp EACH smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp EACH dried oregano, dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- CREAM SAUCE
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 bell peppers (any color combo) chopped into 1” pieces
- ½ medium red onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup fire roasted diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Lightly brush salmon all over with olive oil or melted butter.
- Mix together all of the Spice Rub ingredients in a medium bowl. Remove 2 tablespoons and rub evenly all over salmon. Reserve remaining spice rub for the sauce.
- In a large heavy bottom skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat (medium if your stove runs hot). Once hot, add fillets, turn heat down to medium and cook approximately 4 minutes, until crispy and blackened. Flip salmon over and cook an additional 3-6 minutes to your liking (will depend on thickness). If salmon is is browning too quickly, then turn down the heat. Remove salmon to a plate and tent with foil.
- To the oil left in the skillet (don’t wipe out), add enough oil to equal 1 tablespoon if needed. Heat over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onions, and cook 3 minutes; then add bell peppers, garlic and reserved spice mix and cook 2 minutes.
- Add half of the chicken broth to the pan (eyeball it) and whisk the remaining chicken broth with cornstarch until smooth. Add to pan along with heavy cream and diced tomatoes. Bring the sauce to a simmer and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in Parmesan cheese until melted followed by lime juice. Add salmon back to the skillet and cook a minute or so to heat through. Taste and season with additional salt, pepper and/or cayenne pepper to taste. Garnish with freshly parsley and lime juice if desired.
All rights and material belong to owners carlsbadcravings.com