Sheet Pan Chicken Gyros with Feta Tzatziki
Oven roasted chicken stuffed inside fresh pitas with all the “extras”...a fun weeknight dinner!
- ⅓ cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 6 fresh pitas or naan warmed,
- pickled red onion, lettuce, dill, and parsley for serving
- FETA TZATZIKI
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- ¼ cup + ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1-2 Persian cucumbers, shredded
- kosher salt
- In a bowl, combine the yogurt, olive oil, cubed chicken, lemon juice, garlic, shallots, paprika, oregano, chili flakes, and a large pinch each of salt and pepper. Let marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature or up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, toss and bake another 5-10 minutes, or until cooked through. Switch the oven to broil. Broil 1-2 minutes, until the chicken chars on the edges (watch carefully)
- Meanwhile, make the Tzatziki. Combine the feta, ¼ cup yogurt, garlic, and lemon juice in a blender and blend until creamy. Stir in ⅓ cup more yogurt, the cucumbers, and a pinch of salt and red pepper flakes.
- To assemble, stuff/spread each pita with tzatziki, then lettuce, and chicken. Add red onions and herbs. Drizzle over more tzatziki and if desired, harissa (recipe in notes).
All rights and material belong to owners halfbakedharvest.com