Candy Cane Cookies
They're actually just a simple sugar cookie where half of the dough gets dyed red and then twisted together. So simple and yet so lovely!
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- Red food coloring
- Sanding sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg, milk, and peppermint extract and beat to combine. Add dry ingredients and beat until fully incorporated.
- Remove half the dough from the bowl, form into a disc and wrap with plastic wrap. Add red food coloring to remaining dough and beat to combine. Form red dough into a disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate both doughs until firm, at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide each disk into 24 pieces; roll each piece to a 6” long rope. Take one red and one white rope and twist the two pieces together, bending the top into a hook to form a candy cane shape. Place on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Repeat with remaining dough. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
- While cookies chill, preheat oven to 350°F. Bake cookies until just set and edges are lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.
All rights and material belong to owners delish.com