If you're over cookies, Struffoli is the next best thing… or is it even better?
- 2 c. (240 g.) all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- ¼ c. granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. Marsala or white wine
- 1 qt. (945 ml.) canola oil
- ½ c. honey
- 1 tbsp. fresh orange juice
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Rainbow nonpareil sprinkles, for decorating
- In a food processor, pulse flour, granulated sugar, salt, and baking powder about 4 times to combine. Add butter, lemon zest, and orange zest and pulse about 4 more times to make a sandy texture. Add eggs and Marsala and process until dough clumps into a ball, about 1 minute. Tightly wrap in plastic and refrigerate until very firm, about 1 hour.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Cut chilled dough into 8 pieces and keep covered with plastic.
- On a floured work surface, working with one at a time, roll dough to a 12" rope. Cut into 24 (1/2") pieces. Roll each piece into a ball with your hands and arrange on prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Line another rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. In a large Dutch oven fitted with a deep-fry thermometer, over medium heat, heat oil until thermometer registers 375°. Working in 4 batches, pile dough balls onto a spider or large slotted spoon and gently lower into oil. Stir to break up balls and fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave honey until runny, about 30 seconds. Stir in orange juice.
- In a large bowl, toss struffoli and honey mixture until fully coated.
- Spray a drinking glass with cooking spray and place in the center of a platter. Using a slotted spoon, pile struffoli around glass in a wreath shape. Pour any remaining honey mixture from bowl over struffoli and decorate with sprinkles.
- Let sit until honey has firmed up, about 30 minutes. Remove drinking glass and serve.
All rights and material belong to owners delish.com