Tender white beans, wholesome pasta, flavorful smoked sausage, and a savory broth make this classic Italian soup a family favorite.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound spicy or sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 6 to 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-½ cups ditalini pasta, or any other small shaped pasta
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for garnish
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a Dutch oven or a large deep pot set over medium heat.
- Add sausage and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon; cook for about 5 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Transfer cooked sausage to a plate and set aside.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the same pot.
- Stir in the onions, celery, and carrots; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 20 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomato paste.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chicken broth.
- Stir in the sugar, rosemary, basil, oregano, thyme, and previously cooked sausage; increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir in the pasta and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for 8 minutes, or until pasta is al dente.
- Taste soup for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Remove from heat.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with freshly grated parmesan and parsley.
All rights and material belong to owners delish.com