Roasted Herb Butter Chicken and Orzo
A one-skillet chicken dinner that's great for a weeknight, but equally fancy enough to serve up at your next holiday dinner!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- ⅓ cup white wine or apple cider
- 4-5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 shallots, halved
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 head garlic
- ¾ cup dry orzo
- 1 parmesan rind
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Cook the olive oil and onion in a large oven-safe skillet with sides, over medium heat, until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Push the onions to the side. Add the chicken and sprinkle with the curry powder. Season with salt and pepper. Add the butter, shallots, celery, carrots, thyme, and sage. Season again with salt and pepper. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the apple cider, 2-3 cups broth, and lemon juice. Add the garlic and parmesan rind. Transfer to the oven and cook uncovered for 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Pull the skillet out, add ½ cup of broth and the orzo. Return to the oven and cook 10-12 minutes, until the orzo is al dente. If you want more broth, add the remaining 1-2½ cups.
- Serve the chicken over the orzo and broth. Top with parmesan (if desired), plus thyme or parsley.
All rights and material belong to owners delish.com