Rosemary Chicken Lasagna
Rosemary Chicken Lasagna with creamy Béchamel Sauce …and a little tip on how to make this lighter and faster when pressed for time!
- Lasagna Filling:
- 1½ lbs chicken breast, cut into small bite sized, ½ inch pieces ( or replace some with mushrooms)
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, pepper to taste
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms (optional- or replace with 8 oz more chicken)
- ½ onion- diced
- 6 cloves garlic -chopped
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh rosemary- chopped ( or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1–2 cups packed, chopped fresh spinach ( optional)
- Bechamel Sauce Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons butter ( or olive oil)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 cups whole milk ( or use half and half and water)
- 1¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- Truffle oil– optional but amazing
- Lasagna ingredients:
- No-boil lasagna noodles, fresh pasta sheets, or use egg roll wrappers for an extra light version!
- 12 oz fresh or grated mozzarella, divided -saving 4 oz for béchamel
- 15 oz whole milk ricotta
- ¾ cup Parmesan, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Truffle oil– optional but amazing
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Make the Filling: ( see notes for vegetarian) Cut chicken into ½ inch, bite size pieces and season with 1 teaspoon salt and cracked pepper to taste. Saute in a skillet, on medium heat, with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil until golden brown, and cooked through. Place chicken in a bowl and set aside. Wipe out the pan and add a little more oil. Add mushrooms and onion and saute until tender, on med heat, about 7 min. Add garlic and rosemary, and saute 2 more minutes. Season with ½ tsp salt and lower heat to med low, and saute until mushrooms release their liquid. Add chopped spinach, stir until wilted and add this to the chicken. Set aside.
- Make Bechamel Sauce: In a small pot, melt butter on med low heat. Add flour and stir for 2-3 minutes on med heat until flour is golden. Whisk in milk one cup at a time. Add rosemary and bring to a gentle simmer, do not leave unattended, stirring constantly. Add 4 oz. mozzarella and stir until melted and thickened. Add salt, nutmeg and white pepper. Stir until incorporated, set aside.
- Assemble Lasagna. Use fresh pasta sheets if possible. If not available, substitute large egg roll wrappers or dry lasagna noodles. Butter or grease a 9 x 13 inch pan. Pour ¾ cups bechamel sauce in the bottom and spread out. Lay down one layer of pasta (or two layers of egg roll wrappers). Using a teaspoon, place teaspoon sized dollops of ricotta, using up about half the container. Spread out the ½ of the chicken mushroom filling, drizzle ½ C bechemal, sprinkle ¼ C Parmesan, and 4 oz of the fresh mozzarella and half of the lemon zest. Repeat, adding another single layer of pasta, or a layer of egg roll wrappers, lightly pressing down. Add dollops of ricotta, the remainder of the chicken mushroom filling, ½ C bechamel, the remaining mozzarella, ¼ C Parmesan and remaining lemon zest. At this point, you could drizzle with a little truffle oil ( it’s delicious). Top with the last layer of pasta ( or egg roll wrappers) pour the remainder of the bechamel, spreading evenly. Add the final ¼ C of Parmesan. Sprinkle with a little rosemary.
- Bake covered tightly with foil in a 400F oven for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove foil and bake uncovered until top is golden, about 15 more minutes. Let rest out of the oven 10-15 minutes before cutting, so it sets up.
All rights and material belong to owners feastingathome.com