Chocolate Covered Cherry Scones
Golden brown, loaded with juicy cherries, and drizzled with dark chocolate, these Chocolate Covered Cherry Scones are a total showstopper!
- 3 cups (390 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- ½ cup (99 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter very cold, cut into cubes
- 1 large egg cold
- ¾ cup (170 grams) heavy cream cold
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract optional
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cherries roughly chopped
- For the Egg Wash:
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- ¼ cup sparkling sugar optional
- For the Chocolate Glaze
- 4 ounces dark chocolate roughly chopped
- Preheat oven temperature to 400 degrees (F). Line a large baking sheet wit parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together both flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon (if using), and sugar.
- Add the cold butter cubes, and using a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles a coarse meal.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg, heavy cream, vanilla, and almond extract (if using).
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour the cream/egg mixture all into the center, then add in the cherries. Using a rubber spatula, fold the mixture together a few times.
- Carefully pour the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead the dough together and press it out into a large circle about 2 inches thick.
- Cut dough into 8 wedges, then carefully place scones onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush with beaten egg wash, then sprinkle with sparkling sugar, is using.
- Bake for 26 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the oven and place pan on a wire rack to cool.
- For the Egg Wash:
- In a small bowl add the egg and water. Whisk until well combined. Set aside until needed.
- For chocolate Glaze:
- Place chopped chocolate in a small microwave safe bowl.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave, on the lowest setting, in 15 second increments, stirring after each increment, until chocolate is completely melted. Whisk smooth.
- Using a small spoon, drizzle the scones with the melted chocolate before serving.
All rights and material belong to owners bakerbynature.com