Frito Pie now has a cheesier, more luxurious cousin.
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 lb. English-cut bone-in beef short ribs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 (16-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 c. low-sodium beef broth
- 1½ c. BBQ sauce
- 2 (9-oz.) bag Fritos, slightly crushed, divided
- 1½ c. grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 scallions, sliced, divided
- Sour cream and pickled red onions, for serving
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large Dutch oven or heavy ovenproof pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Generously season ribs with salt and pepper on all sides. Working in batches if needed, cook ribs, turning occasionally, until all sides are thoroughly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- In same pot, cook onions and carrots, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Pour in sauce, broth, and BBQ sauce and stir to combine, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Return ribs to pot.
- Cover pot and and transfer to oven. Bake until meat is tender enough to shred and falling off the bone, 2½ to 3 hours.
- Let cool slightly. Transfer meat and bones to a cutting board; discard bones and shred meat.
- Using an immersion or standard blender, blend vegetable mixture until a smooth sauce forms. Return sauce and meat to pot and mix to combine.
- Increase oven temperature to 375°. Generously cover bottom of a large baking dish with some Fritos. Top with half of rib mixture, half of cheddar, half of scallions, then a sparse layer of Fritos. Top with remaining short rib mixture, a sparse layer of Fritos, and remaining cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and lasagna is slightly set, about 20 minutes. Dollop with sour cream, pickled onions, and remaining scallions.
All rights and material belong to owners delish.com