Irish Soda Bread
Best served slathered with plenty of Irish butter!
- 3½ c. all-purpose flour
- ¼ c. plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided (optional)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt
- 3 tbsp. butter, diced and chilled
- 1½ c. buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
- 1½ c. mini chocolate chips, raisins, or currents (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375º. Grease an ovenproof 10” skillet with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking soda and salt. Using a pastry cutter, or your hands, work in the butter until it’s evenly incorporated.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not over mix! Fold in chocolate chips, raisins, or currents, if using.
- Place dough in skillet and score an “X” on top with a sharp knife. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining sugar, if using. Bake until golden, or until a toothpick comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. When you tap the loaf, it should sound hollow. Cool at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
All rights and material belong to owners delish.com