Crispy Chicken Carnitas Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce
Fresh corn tortillas are stuffed with shredded citrus marinated chicken & cheese then baked to crispy perfection! These baked chicken carnitas tacos are so easy & best served with a creamy avocado sauce!
- For the tacos:
- 1½ lb. chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded & finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 8 large corn tortillas
- ⅓ of a red onion, chopped
- 2 cups grated cheese (cheddar, monterey jack, Mexican blend, etc.)
- For the avocado cilantro lime sauce:
- 2 medium avocados
- 1 garlic clove
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped (leaves & stems are ok)
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- To make the avocado cilantro lime sauce:
- Add all of your ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Store the sauce in the fridge while you prepare your tacos.
- To make the chicken carnitas:
- Clean your chicken thighs (if needed) and place them in a large bowl. Then mix your orange juice, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, olive oil, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper together and pour it over your thighs. Let the chicken marinate for 30 minutes – 8 hours.
- A few minutes before the chicken is done marinating, turn your oven on to 400 degrees. Then spray a large baking dish with cooking spray and place your chicken thighs in the dish. (Discard the marinade.) Then bake the chicken for 15-20 minutes or until it's cooked all the way through. (Internal temperature should be 165 degrees.) Shred your chicken once it's done.
- To make your tacos:
- Turn your oven up to 425 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Then lay your tortillas out on the pan and spray them with cooking spray. Flip them over and bake them for 2-3 minutes. (You just need them soft enough to fold over your filling.) Then take the pan out of the oven and layer each tortilla on one side with cheese, chicken carnitas, red onion and a little more cheese. Fold the other side of the tortilla over your filling and press down gently to make it "stick."
- Once all of your tacos are made, place the pan back in the oven and bake for 15-17 minutes or until the cheese has melted and your tortillas are crispy.
- Serve immediately with your avocado cilantro lime sauce.
All rights and material belong to owners kaleforniakravings.com