Broccoli Cheddar Noodle Soup
A delicious, simple twist on my favorite broccoli cheddar soup...even cozier and yummier than you can imagine!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 3-4 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon regular or smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2-3 cups egg noodles
- Melt the olive oil and butter together in a large soup pot set over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook about 2 minutes, then gradually whisk in the broth, and then the milk.
- Add the broccoli, bay leaves, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, uncovered, until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the stove. Remove and discard the bay leaves, then pour about half the soup into a blender or use an immersion blender. Return the soup to the stove and set over low heat. Stir in the cheese and thyme, cook until melted and creamy.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to package directions.
- To serve, add the noodles to serving bowls, then pour the soup over the noodles and top with a little extra cheddar and fresh thyme. Enjoy!
All rights and material belong to owners halfbakedharvest.com