Easy Gruyère Croissants
We're skipping the 3-day process and making croissants start to finish in under 2 hours with zero stress - perfect holiday!
- 3½– 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2¼ teaspoons (1 packet) Rapid Rise yeast
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1 cup warm whole milk
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1½ sticks (3/4) cup cold salted butter, sliced into thin pieces
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk, beaten together, for brushing
- CRANBERRY HONEY BUTTER
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, yeast, and salt. Add 1 cup of cheese. Mix with a fork to combine.
- Pour in the warm milk, honey, 1 egg, and butter. Using the dough hook, mix until the flour is incorporated, 4-5 minutes. If the dough seems sticky, add the remaining ¼ -1/2 cup of flour. Cover the bowl and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes or up to a few hours at room temperature.
- Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, creating a large rectangle that’s about 12×18 inches. Layer the thin slices of cold butter down the middle ⅓ of the dough, creating a rectangle of butter (see above photo).
- Fold ⅓ of the dough over the butter, then fold the other ⅓ over top of the first layer so you have 3 dough layers (like an envelope). Roll the dough out again into a large rectangle, fold into thirds.
- Next, roll the dough out in a large, long 25×9 inch rectangle (it does not need to be exact/perfect). Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife cut the dough into 14-16 long triangles, about 3 inches wide. Sprinkle each triangle with the remaining cheese. Roll the croissants up. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, 2-3 inches apart. Cover and freeze 15-20 minutes. Alternatively, you can let the rolls sit in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Brush with the rolls with the beaten egg. Bake the croissants for 16-20 minutes, until deeply golden. Serve the croissant warm, with cranberry butter and sea salt
- To make the cranberry butter. Combine the butter, cranberries, honey, and a pinch of salt together in a small bowl.
All rights and material belong to owners halfbakedharvest.com