Lighter Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Cozy, creamy, secretly full of vegetables, made simply in one pot, healthier, and totally delicious!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ▢2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, or gluten free flour
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon smoked (or regular) paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne use to taste
- kosher salt and black pepper
- ½ cup canned full fat coconut milk
- 1-2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Melt together the olive oil and butter in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and thyme, and cook until fragrant, about 10 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook until golden, about 2 minutes, then gradually whisk in the broth. Add the cauliflower and bring to a boil. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and purée until smooth. Return the soup to the pot. If needed add 1-2 cups water, then the broccoli, bay leaves, paprika, cayenne, and a large pinch each of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, uncovered, until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and blend the soup in batches until the broccoli is finely chopped, but small chunks still remain.
- Return the soup to the stove and set over low heat. Stir in the coconut milk and cheese until melted and creamy. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed. If the soup is thick, add broth to thin. Ladle into bowls and top with a little extra cheddar and fresh thyme. Enjoy!
All rights and material belong to owners halfbakedharvest.com