Apple Cider Whoopie Pies
The classic dessert just got a MAJOR fall upgrade.
- 1½ c. apple cider
- 2½ c. (300 g.) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Zest of 1 navel orange, zested (about 1 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. grated fresh nutmeg
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ c. apple butter
- ½ c. (110 g.) packed dark brown sugar
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- ⅓ c. (70 g.) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ c. cinnamon sugar
- FILLING & ASSEMBLY
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 c. (230 g.) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. salted caramel topping
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring cider to a boil. Continue to boil until cider starts to darken and slightly thicken and is reduced to about ¼ cup, about 15 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Step 2
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. In a large bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, orange zest, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and cloves.
- Step 3
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, apple butter, brown sugar, oil, granulated sugar, and vanilla. While whisking, slowly pour reduced cider into egg mixture, whisking until combined. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Step 4
- Using a medium (2-oz.) cookie scoop, scoop dough onto prepared sheets, spacing about 1" apart. Bake cookies until springy to the touch, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- Step 5
- Lightly brush tops of cookies with butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- FILLING & ASSEMBLY
- In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer on medium-high speed, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy and smooth, about 2 minutes more. Scrape filling into a pastry bag or resealable bag.
- Turn cookies rounded side down. Cut bottom of pastry bag or corner of resealable bag to create a ½" opening. Pipe filling into the center of half of cookies.
- Dollop caramel onto the center of remaining cookies. Sandwich and gently press until filling spreads almost to edges of cookies. Cover and refrigerate whoopie pies at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
All rights and material belong to owners delish.com