Mexican Eggs Benedict
The combination of spicy chorizo, smashed avocado, jalapenos and chipotle hollandaise is insanely delicious!
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large avocado smashed with a fork
- 170 grams ground chorizo (approx. 5 chorizo sausage, removed from their casings)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Chipotle Hollandaise
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp chopped chipotle pepper in adobo (or 1 tsp chipotle powder)
- ¼ cup hot melted butter (Or ghee for Paleo/Whole30)
- Peel a butternut squash and cut the long neck into slices approximately ½ inch in thickness. Heat a grill to medium high heat. Brush each butternut squash slice with olive oil and grill the slices for approximately 5-6 minutes per side until grill marks appear and the squash is slightly tender. Transfer the slices to the oven set on very low heat to keep them warm while you prep the rest of the recipe.
- To make the hollandaise, in a tall container add the egg yolks, salt, lime juice and chipotle pepper. Insert an immersion blender into the container and blend for 30 seconds. Very slowly drizzle the melted butter/ghee into the container while blending. This could also be done in a blender if you do not have an immersion blender.
- Cook the ground chorizo meat in pan, breaking up the meat with a fork into a crumbly texture.
- Bring a pot filled with approx 3 inches of water to a bottle and add in the white vinegar. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium low and move a spoon quickly in a circular motion in the water to create a whirlpool and then crack an egg into the middle. Leave to cook for 4 minutes before removing it from the water using a slotted spoon. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- To assemble place two butternut squash on a plate, top each slice with smashed avocado, some of the chorizo meat, a poached eggs and spoon the hollandaise overtop. Garnish with jalapeños and cilantro before serving.
All rights and material belong to owners everylastbite.com