Mediterranean Veggie Grilled Cheese
Grilled cheese just got a Mediterranean upgrade.
- 1 small red onion (about 8 oz.), halved and sliced into ¼"-thick pieces
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium zucchini (about 8 oz.), halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 c. crumbled feta
- ½ c. store-bought tzatziki
- ¼ c. unsalted butter, melted
- 8 slices Sara Lee White made with Whole Grain Bread
- 2 c. packed baby spinach leaves
- 1 (12.-oz) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and patted dry
- Preheat oven to 425°. On one half of a rimmed baking sheet, toss onion, 1 tablespoon oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Arrange zucchini in a single layer on other half of baking sheet. Toss with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper.
- Bake until tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly and refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine feta and tzatziki, smashing feta with the back of a spoon until slightly chunky but combined and smooth.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with butter. Flip slices over and spread with feta mixture. Top half of slices with onion, zucchini, spinach, and peppers; close sandwiches with remaining slices.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook 2 sandwiches until bread is golden, about 2 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until other side of bread is golden, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining sandwiches. Slice and serve.
- Make Ahead: Vegetables can be roasted 5 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.
All rights and material belong to owners delish.com