Katsu Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Katsu Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich is just an absolute love.
- Curry Sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ large brown onion - finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 300ml chicken stock
- 1 small carrot, skinned and roughly chopped
- 30ml coconut milk
- 30ml double cream
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- For the Chicken
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 50g plain flour
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten with a little milk
- Enough oil to shallow fry
- For the sandwich
- Shredded cabbage
- Swiss cheese, sliced
- Kewpie Mayonnaise
- Black and white sesame seeds
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and add the onion.
- Cook over a low heat until caramelised, then add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute or so until smelling aromatic.
- Add the plain flour and curry flour and stir to coat the vegetables in the pan. Add the chicken stock, a dash at a time, until it's all incorporated with no lumps.
- Add the carrots and simmer with the lid on until they're completely soft, stirring to make sure the sauce doesn't catch.
- Allow the curry to cool before blending it until it's silky smooth, then pass it through a sieve. Add the coconut milk, double cream, honey, soy sauce. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bread and fry your chicken - dip the thighs in the plain flour, shake off excess, then into the egg and into the panko, making sure they are thoroughly coated.
- Heat the oil to 170°C and shallow fry until crisp.
- Brush the bread slices with kewpie mayo and sprinkle with sesame seeds on the outer sides. Sandwich the cabbage and a breaded chicken thigh and swiss cheese along with a good dollop of curry sauce, then gently griddle until molten, crisp and delicious.