Giant Chicken Katsu Curry Sandwich
Feeling hungry? Look no further than this enormous sarnie, the likes of which have never been seen before.
- RICE BUN
- 1kg sushi rice
- 1.5L water
- 5 tbsp sushi vinegar
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 5 chicken breasts
- Sea salt
- 300g flour
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 400g panko breadcrumbs
- CURRY SAUCE
- 1 tbsp sunflower o
- 3 inch chunk ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 2 carrots, very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- Mayonnaise, iceburg lettuce and black sesame for the sandwich
- Take the chicken breasts, butterfly them and bash them between sheets of baking paper or clingfilm to make a square roughly 20cm. Freeze for two hours.
- To make the sushi rice, heat the rice (don't wash it!) and water together until boiling. Simmer for 10 minutes then cover, with the lid on, until the rice is tender and sticky. Press it into two lined 20cm brownie tins and set aside for the time being.
- Make the curry sauce - in a saucepan heat the oil and fry the ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add the onion and carrots and continue cooking until they are really soft and almost caramelised.
- Add the curry powder and plain flour then gradually pour in the stock to make the sauce. Reduce until thick then blend.
- Take the frozen chicken square (!) and dip it in a large tray full of the flour (seasoned), then the eggs, then the breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in the biggest deep sided pan you have and fry the whole thing for at least 15 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Layer the giant sandwich - rice bun first, then mayo, then the chicken, then the katsu sauce. Finish with the top bun and sprinkle with black sesame.
Giant Chicken Katsu Sandwich
Posted by Twisted on Thursday, February 7, 2019