Steak Tacos with Chipotle Sauce & Roasted Cabbage Slaw
The smoky slaw adds body to the tacos, while the vibrant, tangy sauce ties everything together. Add some crumbled queso fresco and you’ve got the tastiest tacos for any night of the week!
- 1 ½ lbs skirt steak*
- 1 lb purple cabbage, cored + sliced ¼”
- 1 large red pepper, halved + seeded
- 1 large poblano pepper, halved + seeded
- 1 red onion, cored + cut into ½” wedges
- olive oil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 12 tortillas, charred over an open flame
- 6 oz queso fresco, crumbled
- crushed chipotle pepper (optional)
- Chipotle Sauce
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 (7oz) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup olive oil
- kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the sliced cabbage onto a half sheet pan. Place the halved peppers and red onion wedges onto another half sheet pan. Drizzle all of the vegetables generously with olive oil. Toss to coat. Spread the cabbage into an even layer. Place the peppers and red onions cut-side down. Season with a pinch of salt. Roast for 35 minutes, or until tender and caramelized.
- Pat the skirt steak dry and allow it to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the chipotle sauce, combine the orange juice, orange zest, chipotle peppers (with all of the adobo sauce), and honey in a food processor. Process until smooth. With the processor running, stream in the olive oil. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
- Allow the vegetables to cool slightly. Peel the skins off the peppers. Thinly slice the red pepper, finely chop the poblano pepper, and roughly chop the red onion. Add everything to a mixing bowl, along with the green onions and a ½ cup of the chipotle sauce. Toss to combine.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add enough oil (a neutral cooking oil) to just coat the bottom of the skillet. Season the skirt steak generously with salt. Once the oil is hot, work in batches to sear the skirt steak for about 3 minutes per side, or until cooked to your desired doneness. Transfer the steak to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak against the grain.
- Assemble the tacos in the charred tortillas with the slaw on the bottom, then a few slices of steak, a generous drizzle of sauce, and a sprinkle of queso fresco over top. For more heat, add a pinch of crushed chipotle pepper.
All rights and material belong to owners theoriginaldish.com