This Danish Kringle is full of almond flavor, baked until golden, and then drizzled with a vanilla glaze. This can be eaten for breakfast or dessert, and everyone will love it!
- 2 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter cut into ½ inch cubes
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups marzipan
- Egg wash
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, for topping
- Make the Dough
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Pour the flour mixture, along with the cubed butter into a food processor fitted with the blade attachment.
- Pulse the food processor until the butter has been evenly distributed and nearly broken down. You should still see some small chunks of butter throughout.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and egg. Add the flour mixture to the liquids and, using a wooden spoon, stiff spatula, or your hands mix the wet and dry ingredients together thoroughly.
- Knead the dough together and shape it into a long rectangle. Cut the dough in half lengthwise. Place the dough on a parchment lined baking sheet, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Once the dough has chilled, place it on a lightly floured surface and using a rolling pin, roll each section of dough out into a long rectangle, about 6 by 24 inches.
- Add the Filling
- While the dough is chilling, preheat an oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit and prepare 2 baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
- Separate the marzipan in half, roll each half out to the length of the dough and smash it slightly flat. Lay the marzipan into each section of dough, If it ends up being a little too long after flattening you can trim it to fit inside the dough.
- Fold one side of the dough over the marzipan and the remaining section of dough over the top of that, using a bit of water to secure the seam. Flip the kringle over to place the seam on the bottom.
- Shape each length of the kringle into an oval, joining the ends together by fitting one side into the end of the other, and seal the seam with a bit of water. (My ovals ended up being about 12 by 9 inches from the longest points to the widest points).
- Place each kringle on its own sheet pan, egg wash the top of each kringle and bake them one at a time for 20-25 minutes, until the kringle is golden brown. Keep the kringle in the fridge while it waits to bake.
- Make the Glaze
- Once the kringles are fully baked, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool to room temperature. While they are cooling, make the frosting by whisking together the powdered sugar, water, almond and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.
- Once the kringles are cooled, drizzle the frosting across each kringle and sprinkle the sliced almonds across the tops, and enjoy!
All rights and material belong to owners therecipecritic.com