When you really want to ball out on dessert, this is THE cookie to make. With a buttery shortbread crust, caramel middle, and thick chocolate top, it doesn't get much richer than this. Here's what makes this recipe SO good.
- SHORTBREAD LAYER
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2¼ c. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- CARAMEL LAYER
- 2 (11-oz.) packages caramel squares
- ½ c. heavy cream
- CHOCOLATE LAYER
- 2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 300°. Line a 13"-x-9" pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Make shortbread layer: Cream softened butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour and vanilla and mix until a bread crumb texture forms.
- Press mixture into a prepared pan and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake until lightly golden, 30 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Make caramel layer: in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stir caramels and cream together until melted, 10 minutes. Pour over cooled shortbread crust.
- Make chocolate layer: Melt chocolate in microwave in 30 second intervals and stir until smooth. Pour over caramel layer.
- Refrigerate 20 minutes until firm, then slice into bars. Top with flaky sea salt.