Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake
It's 100x better than traditional strawberry shortcake.
- FOR THE CAKE
- Cooking spray, for pan
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 (3.4-oz) package instant vanilla pudding
- 4 large eggs
- 1 c. water
- ½ c. (1 stick) butter, melted
- FOR THE FROSTING + TOPPING
- ½ c. (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 qt. strawberries, stems removed
- 2 c. Cool Whip
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two 8” round cake pans with parchment paper and grease with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat together cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, and butter. Divide between prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make buttercream: In a large bowl using a hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat butter until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat until combined, then add vanilla, heavy cream, and salt and beat until combined.
- Spread a thin layer of buttercream on top of one cake layer, then transfer remaining buttercream to a piping bag. (No need to use a pastry tip — just ship a large hole!) Stand strawberries on top of buttercream in an even layer then pipe buttercream between and top of strawberries to cover. Smooth top with an offset spatula.
- Place second layer on top, then cover the entire cake with Cool Whip. Slice any leftover strawberries into thin slices to garnish cake.