Wine Braised Lamb Shanks
These Wine Braised Lamb Shanks are so deliciously tender, they melt right off the bone. Serve them with the rich, velvety, perfectly seasoned red wine sauce for a truly deep and comforting family dinner.
- olive oil
- lamb shanks (each shank should be about 1 to 1-1/4 pound)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- yellow onions
- celery ribs, each rib cut into about 2-inch pieces
- button mushrooms
- cloves garlic
- low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- dry red wine
- fresh rosemary
- fresh thyme
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- Sear: Heat olive oil in a large dutch-oven skillet or a high-sided oven-proof skillet or pot.
- Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper and add them to the hot oil. Make sure oil is hot because you want that immediate sear on the lamb shanks.; sear on all sides until they are browned.
- Remove the lamb shanks from the skillet and set aside.
- Saute: Set the skillet back over medium-high heat and add in the remaining oil.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery sticks, mushrooms and garlic to the skillet. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth and stir in wine. Stir to loosen all the browned bits on the bottom of the skillet. Bring the chicken broth and wine to a boil.
- Braise: Place the lamb shanks back inside the pot.
- Put the pot in the preheated oven and cook for 1.5 to 2 hours. Turn the shanks over every 30 to 40 minutes, until the meat is tender and internal temperature registers anywhere between 150˚F and 160˚F. Please use an instant read thermometer to check for doneness.
- Remove: Remove your pot from the oven.
- Remove the shanks from the pot. Set them aside and keep covered.
- Sauce: Simmer the remaining sauce that’s in the skillet over medium heat until thickened to a desired consistency. This should take about 6 to 10 minutes.
- Skim off any additional fat that rises to the surface.
- Taste the sauce for seasonings and adjust it accordingly.
- Serve: Add the lamb shanks back into the pot.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.