Fried Chicken BLT with Jalapeno Honey Recipe
This BLT feels so perfectly “southern summer”, heirloom tomatoes, bacon, fried chicken, fried eggs and jalapeno honey.
- ½ cup honey
- 1 to 2 jalapeño chiles sliced, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup good-quality mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or other chile garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 7 large eggs divided
- 1 cup Franks red hot sauce or your favorite hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken tenders
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- neutral oil (like canola, grapeseed, or peanut oil) for frying
- 4 slices whole grain or sourdough bread
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon cooked
- 2 cups mixed baby greens such as kale, chard, and tatsoi (optional)
- 1 handful micro greens (optional)
- 2 large heirloom or beefsteak tomato sliced
- 1 firm-ripe avocado pitted and sliced (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the Jalapeno Honey: In a small saucepan bring the honey to a low boil. Add the jalapenos and cook one minute longer. Remove from the heat. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. Warm before serving.
- For The Sriracha Mayo: In a bowl, combine the mayo, sriracha, smoked paprika and basil. Store in the fridge until ready to assemble.
- For The BLT: Heat oil to 350°F in a deep, heavy-bottomed pot. Do not fill the pot more than ½ full with oil. Season the chicken with the seasoned salt. Add the flour to a shallow bowl or pie plate. In another (medium size) bowl, beat 3 of the eggs and hot sauce together. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg mixture, and then coat well in the flour.
- Place the chicken in the heated oil and fry the chicken in the oil until brown, crisp and cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the tomatoes on a cutting board and drizzle with just a little olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let stand 5 minutes. When chicken is finished, drain it on a paper towel-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Toast the slices of bread lightly in the toaster. Spread a little chipotle mayo over two slices of bread. Divide the lettuce over the two bottom slices of bread (the ones with the mayo). Add the tomato and avocado slices and then add the fried chicken (slice, if the chicken is a bit thick). Drizzle the chicken with the warmed jalapeno honey. Add the bacon. If using, fry the remainign 4 eggs then top sandwich with a fried egg over the bacon and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the top slice of bread. Serve with extra mayo and jalapeno honey if desired. Eat right away!