This is a Plum Cake you'll want to make time and time again. I have... and do. Beginning in September and for as long as the fresh plums show up in my market.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar + 2 tablespoons, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2-3 plums, pitted and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch cake pan. A springform pan works great with this cake!
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and cardamom.
- With an electric or stand mixer, cream together the butter and 1 cup sugar, beating until it is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla and sour cream to the bowl, mix on low speed until just combined. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until smooth.
- Transfer cake batter to prepared pan. Top with sliced plums and sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over the cake top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, run a sharp knife around the edges of the cake while it's still hot to loosen it from the pan. Let the cake cool completely on a rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar, slice and serve with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.