Grilled Cheese Dippers
Because the best part of tomato soup is dunking a buttery grilled cheese into the bowl.
- 3 tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 oz. (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 c. low-sodium chicken
- (or vegetable) broth
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- ¼ c. heavy cream
- Thinly sliced fresh basil, for
- 8 slices white bread, crusts
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add onion and cook until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add crushed tomatoes and broth and season generously with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and top with basil.
- Using a rolling pin, roll bread into flat, ¼-inch-thick squares. Place 1 slice cheddar cheese on each piece of bread and tightly roll up.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Working in batches, add dippers to skillet, seam-side down, and cook, turning often, until bread is golden and cheese is melty, about 3 minutes. Wipe skillet clean with a paper towel and add 1 tablespoon more butter before next batch of dippers.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with grilled cheese dippers.