Creamy Kale & Gnocchi Bake
This Creamy Kale & Gnocchi Bake is healthy AND cozy.
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 (10-oz.) bunches kale, stems removed and leaves torn (about 24 packed c. total)
- Kosher salt
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 c. whole milk
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (16-oz.) package refrigerated potato gnocchi
- 8 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 2 c.), divided
- 1 oz. Parmesan, finely grated (about ¼ c.)
- Preheat oven to 375º. In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add kale a large handful at a time, tossing with tongs and slightly wilting each batch before adding the next, until all kale is added and leaves are bright green and just wilted, about 5 minutes total. Season kale with ½ teaspoon salt and transfer into an 11"-by-8" (2-quart) baking dish.
- In same pot over medium heat, melt butter. Cook shallots and garlic, stirring often, until tender and light golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute more.
- While whisking, slowly pour in milk until combined and smooth. Whisk in mustard, nutmeg, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Stir in gnocchi. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, and cook until thickened slightly, about 1 minute.
- Remove pot from heat and whisk in 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese until melted. Return cooked kale to pot and toss to combine, then scrape kale mixture into baking dish. Top with Parmesan and remaining 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake until filling is bubbling and top is golden, 16 to 20 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
All rights and material belong to owners delish.com