Spicy Sausage Rigatoni
Chewy tubes of rigatoni swimming in a delicious sauce made of Italian sausage, San Marzano tomatoes, red wine, and spices.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1–2 cloves garlic, minced
- half of a yellow onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 2 carrots, minced
- 12 ounces spicy Italian sausage (casings removed – just the ground meat)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 28 ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, including their juices
- ¼ cup balsamic or Italian dressing (optional – for some zing!)
- 10–12 ounces rigatoni
- butter, Parmesan, or basil for topping
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic, onion, celery, and carrots – sauté for 10 minutes or so, until the vegetables are very soft.
- Add the ground sausage, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. When the sausage is fully cooked, add the wine and let it sizzle out.
- Add the tomatoes and optional dressing – simmer for 20-30 minutes so the sauce reduces a bit.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Add the pasta to the sauce and stir gently to combine. It should be saucy but not runny. Transfer to a large serving dish and top with Parmesan and parsley or basil. Serve with more wine!
All rights and material belong to owners pinchofyum.com