Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas
We are obsessed with these easy, Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas, made with black beans, tortillas, enchilada sauce, and cheese.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs , or chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil , or olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups homemade enchilada sauce, or 16 ounce jarred
- ¼ cup sour cream, plus more for serving
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 15 ounce can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces shredded cheese, such as a Mexican cheese blend, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella (about 1 cup)
- sliced jalapeño peppers , and chopped fresh cilantro, for topping
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, and salt and cook, stirring, until the onion has softened and browned, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to the slow cooker and add the enchilada sauce, sour cream, and ¼ cup water to the onion mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the beans until thoroughly coated.
- Nestle the chicken in.
- Cover and cook on high for about 3 to 4 hours or high low for about 6 to 7, until chicken is tender and cooked through. Shred the chicken in the pot with 2 forks.
- Add the tortilla strips and stir, then top with the cheese, cover the slow cooker, and cook 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Once the cheese is melted, garnish with cilantro, jalapenos, and optional toppings.
- Serve over rice if desired and top with optional sour cream, and avocado.
All rights and material belong to owners skinnytaste.com