An easy beef stroganoff recipe with tender strips of beef and mushrooms cooked in sour cream and served over noodles. Made with the best beef stroganoff sauce.
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 1 pound of top sirloin or tenderloin, cut thin into 1-inch wide by 2½-inch long strips
- ⅓ cup chopped shallots (can substitute onions)
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of dry tarragon or 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 cup of sour cream (full fat) at room temperature
- Brown the strips of beef in butter: Melt 3 Tbsp of butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Increase the heat to high/med-high. Add the strips of beef in a single layer with space between the strips. You want to cook the beef quickly, browning on each side, so the temp needs to be high enough to brown the beef, but not so high as to burn the butter. You may need to work in batches.
- While cooking the beef, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. When both sides are browned, remove the beef to a bowl and set aside.
- Sauté the shallots: In the same pan, reduce the heat to medium and add the shallots. Cook the shallots for a minute or two, allowing them to soak up any meat drippings. Remove the shallots to the same bowl as the meat and set aside.
- Sauté the mushrooms: In the same pan, melt another 2 Tbsp of butter. Increase heat to medium high and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes.
- While cooking, sprinkle the nutmeg and the tarragon on the mushrooms.
- Add sour cream, beef, shallots: Reduce the heat to low and add the sour cream to the mushrooms. You may want to add a tablespoon or two of water or stock to thin the sauce (or not).
- Mix in the sour cream thoroughly. Do not let it come to a simmer or boil or the sour cream may curdle. Stir in the beef and shallots.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Note that you will likely need more salt than you expect. Taste, and if it needs salt, add ½ teaspoon or more.
- Serve immediately over egg noodles, fettuccine, mashed potatoes, or rice. (Potatoes, rice, and gluten-free pasta are gluten-free options.)
Easy Homemade Beef Stroganoff is made with with tender strips of beef and mushrooms cooked in sour cream and served over noodles. Made with the best beef stroganoff sauce in all the land! This is sure to become a favorite on your menu rotation!Full recipe here: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beef_stroganoff/
Julkaissut Simply Recipes Torstaina 29. marraskuuta 2018