Apple Pie Stuffed French Toast
Apple pie stuffed french toast is the meal of your dreams.
- FOR APPLE PIE FILLING:
- ¼ c. butter
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg (optional)
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- FOR THE FRENCH TOAST:
- 4 thick slices brioche
- 1 c. milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ⅓ c. cinnamon sugar
- whipped cream, for serving
- Make apple pie filling: In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg if using, and salt, and stir to combine.
- Add apples and cook, stirring often, until apples are tender and sugar is dissolved and syrupy, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cut a 3" to 4” wide slit into the bottom of each slice of brioche to create a deep pocket. Fill each pocket with apple mixture.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla until combined. Working one slice at a time, dip bread until fully soaked, 45 seconds.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter. Cook 2 slices bread at a time until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat to cook all slices, adding more butter to pan if needed.
- Place cinnamon sugar on a large shallow plate and coat the cooked French toast in cinnamon sugar. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.