Victoria Sponge Traybake
This soft vanilla sponge, sweet strawberry jam, and rich whipped cream come together to make the most British bake on the planet.
- FOR THE SPONGE
- 300 g butter, softened to room temperature, plus more to grease
- 300 g caster sugar
- 6 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- FOR FILLING AND DECORATION
- 300 g strawberry jam
- 300 ml double cream
- 25 g icing sugar, plus more to dust
- Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan) mark 3. Grease and line a 30.5 x 20.5cm rectangular baking tin with parchment paper.
- In a very large bowl, beat together the butter and caster sugar with an handheld electric whisk for 5 minutes until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Fold in the flour, followed by the milk and vanilla to make a smooth batter. Tip into the prepared tin, spread roughly to level and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave the sponge to cool in the tin completely.
- When the sponge is cool, remove from the tin and carefully peel off the paper from the bottom. Transfer to a board or large serving plate.
- Use a serrated bread knife or cake slicer to halve the sponge into two equal layers. Lift the top cake layer off and set aside. Spread the jam over the bottom sponge, all the way to the edge.
- Whisk the double cream and icing sugar together in a bowl until just thickened. Spread the whipped cream over to cover the jam layer.
- Carefully lay the second cake layer back on top and dust with icing sugar.