Crispy Chicken Burger with Honey Mustard Coleslaw
Crispy Chicken Burger with Honey Mustard Coleslaw on a toasted brioche bun. EASY step by step instructions and Waaay better than takeout!
- Chicken Marinade:
- 3 large chicken breasts - sliced into long, thick strips
- 240 ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- Crispy Chicken Coating:
- 180 g (1 ½ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Honey Mustard Coleslaw:
- ⅓ white cabbage
- 1 medium carrot - peeled
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- pinch black pepper
- vegetable oil - for deep frying
- 4 slices gouda cheese - I used the ready-sliced kind, or you can slice it yourself
- 4 brioche buns - toasted
- 8 pieces crunchy lettuce - I used 'O' so sweet' variety - but Romaine or Little Gem are great too
- 1-2 jalapenos - sliced
- ½ red onion - peeled and thinly sliced
- Place the chicken in a bowl. Add the buttermilk, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Mix together, cover and place in the fridge to marinade for at least 1 hour (up to over night)
- Preheat the oven to a low heat (to keep cooked chicken warm). Heat a large pan of vegetable oil (or preheat your deep fat fryer) until hot (you can test by dropping a small cube of bread in there, if it rises immediately to the top and starts to bubble rapidly, it’s hot enough). You’ll need at least 1 litre (4 cups) of oil - but make sure your pan is no more than one third full.
- Mix together the crispy coating ingredients in a small bowl. Take the chicken out of the fridge. Lift a piece from the buttermilk and allow the excess to drip off. Dredge the chicken in the crispy coating mixture – ensuring it’s fully covered. Place on a tray and repeat until all of the chicken is coated.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add in 5 or 6 of the chicken tenders. You can add more or less depending on the size of your pan, just be sure not to overcrowd the chicken. Cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and cooked in the middle. You can check this by cutting open a piece of chicken, if it’s no longer pink in the middle, it’s cooked.
- Place on a tray in the oven to keep warm whilst you cook the rest of the chicken.
- Make the coleslaw by using a mandoline to julienne the cabbage and carrot (or you can slice thinly by hand). Place in a bowl with the mayonnaise, mustard, honey, lemon juice and black pepper. Stir together, then cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Now it's time to assemble. First, arrange the chicken tenders into four piles and place the gouda on top. Grill or place into a hot oven for a couple of minutes until just melted.
- Place the bottom of the brioche buns on four plates. Top with the lettuce leaves, followed by the cheesy chicken pieces.
- Spoon on the coleslaw, then sprinkle on the red onion slices and jalapeno slices. Place tops of the buns on top and serve.