Chocolate Merlot Cupcakes
These boozy cupcakes are spiked with red wine and topped with a fresh cherry-red wine frosting.
- FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1 box Devils food cake mix
- 180 ml Merlot wine
- 120 ml water
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 220 butter, softened
- 750 g icing sugar
- 225 g fresh cherries, pitted and diced, plus more for garnish
- 60 ml Merlot wine
- Pinch of salt
- Pink food colouring, optional
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160ºC fan) and line two cupcake tins with cupcake liners. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat cake mix, wine, water, oil, and eggs. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill cupcake liners about two-thirds full with batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre of each cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pans 10 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Make frosting: In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat butter with half of the icing sugar until fluffy. Add cherries and beat until combined. Add wine and salt and beat until incorporated, then add remaining icing sugar and beat until smooth. Stir in food colour if desired.
- Transfer frosting a piping bag fit with a round attachment. Frost cupcakes and garnish with cherries.