Apple Crumble Cupcakes
Who doesn't love apple crumble, especially when it comes out the oven golden, bubbling and delicious. So we've reimagined one of our fave desserts into these gorgeous cupcakes!
- FOR THE APPLE FILLING:
- 2 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and diced into 1cm cubes (approx. 400g net weight)
- 75 g light brown muscovado sugar
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 170 g caster sugar
- 170 g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 medium eggs
- 170 g self-raising flour
- Splash milk
- FOR THE BUTTERCREAM:
- 250 g unsalted butter, softened
- 500 g icing sugar, sifted
- 75 g custard powder
- Splash milk
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 50 g plain flour
- 25 g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 25 g light brown muscovado sugar
- ½ tbsp. rolled oats
- ½ tbsp. demerara sugar
- Heat apples, sugar and cinnamon together in 50ml water until apples are soft (about 15 mins). Pour into a sieve and leave to drain completely.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan) and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between additions. Fold in flour and a splash of milk.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases until they are ⅔ full and bake for 20 mins until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the topping: preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan) and line a baking sheet with parchment. Put all ingredients into a bowl with a pinch of salt and rub together with your fingertips until no large clumps of butter remain. Tip onto the prepared baking sheet and cook for 15 mins until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Make the buttercream: cream the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the custard and milk.
- Slice a circle around the top of the cupcake and using a tablespoon scoop a large dip out of each cup cake. Fill the cavity with 1 tbsp of apple dice. Pipe a buttercream swirl onto each and sprinkle with the topping.