Melty Grilled French Dip Smash Burger
Here's what happens when you cross a cheesy smash burger with a French dip...
- FOR BURGER
- Vegetable oil, for grill and brushing
- 1½ lb. ground beef
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, ends trimmed, cut into ½-inch thick rings
- 4 6-inch hoagie rolls, split
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 8 slices Sargento® Creamery Sliced Baby Swiss Natural Cheese
- FOR JUS
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1½ c. low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Prepare a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the grill with vegetable oil.
- Shape beef into 8 oval sized patties, about 3-inches wide and 1 ½ inches thick. Place one patty in between two pieces of parchment and smash with the heel of your hand or a metal spatula until a scant ¼-inch thick. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat with remaining patties. Brush both sides of onion slices with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush cut side of buns with melted butter.
- Place buns on grill cut side down and grill until lightly toasted, about 30 seconds. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Grill onion until tender and charred in places, turning a few times, about 8 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Grill patties until crust develops on bottom side, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook 1 minute more. Top each burger with 4 halves of cheese, cover the grill, and cook until cheese is melted and meat is no longer pink in center, about 1 minute more. Remove burgers to a plate.
- Meanwhile, make jus: Place a small high-sided skillet on a stovetop burner over medium-high heat. Add the butter and melt. Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and bring up to a boil. Keep warm.
- To assemble, top each hoagie roll with two patties and some onion. Close the sandwich. Serve with dipping sauce.